Friday, December 9, 2011

Grocery Shopping and cooking, Part 2

So the whole point to shopping with coupons and saving money and buying all these groceries is to actually make something with them.  We've recently been trying out new recipes, and we're going to continue to do that.  This post is going to be about a new program we're going to try.  Once a Month Mom is an awesome site that looks like it will fit just about any eating program you want.  Even making your own baby food.  Go check it out (after you finish reading this, of course!).  They aren't doing another monthly menu until January, so I'm kind of on my own for December.  They have a great series on their site about making your own menu, so I'm following that.  I've  looked all over the Internet for recipe ideas to cook during the month.  I still want to only cook one time, or at least only two times and be done for the month.  So, I've picked a few "starter" recipes to get me going.  Now I just have to make out my grocery list, check the coupon site, and go shopping... Here's what we're eating in December... Click on any of the recipe names to go view that recipe, I followed the advice of the Once a Month Mom site, and decided to make double of each recipe to have enough to eat in December.  Here we go:
Bubble Pizza
Chicken & Dumplings*
BBQ Sandwiches -  (just a roast and a package of onion soup mix with water in my crock pot til it falls apart, then shred it and freeze it.  When you're ready to eat, thaw, warm up, and put barbecue sauce on it and eat!)
Pizza Pasta Casserole
Taco Soup
Hashbrown Casserole (my mother-in-law's GREAT recipe)
Mini Meatloafs

Check out some of these and let me know if you try them... I'll keep you updated on what we thought of each of them.

I've spent the last three days cooking when I've had spare time.  We've eaten the Bubble Pizza (a HUGE hit), the Chicken & Dumplings (another hit), and the BBQ Sandwiches (this wasn't new to us)

*I made double the recipe for this, and froze the extra before adding the biscuits.  My "dumplings" weren't nearly as good as my mother-in-law's, but the rest of the dish made up for it.  It's almost as good as hers.  Also, I put some small cups of the chicken mixture aside for lunches over rice.  I'm eating that today, and I can't wait!!

101 Things mini-update:
The Chicken & Dumplings and Bubble Pizza are two new recipes I've never made... check that off!

No comments:

Post a Comment