Friday, May 16, 2014

Hobbies, Hobbies... Everywhere

I don't know how everyone else's brain works, but I have a hard time sticking to one thing for a huge amount of time.  I am completely committed to a hobby for about 3 months, and then I have to switch to something else, for about 3 months, and so on and so forth... I don't usually add any NEW hobbies, I just take the things I usually do and kind of rotate through them for a few months at a time...

I was recently interviewed for our foster parent license, and she asked me what my hobbies were... My mind went completely blank and I said, "I don't know if I really have any hobbies..." Ron came into the room at that moment to answer the question about his hobbies, and my mind suddenly opened up... I started listing as many as I could think of and then randomly throughout the rest of the interview I'd think of another hobby and yell that out as well... After that, I started thinking about what hobbies actually are, and what constitutes a hobby.

Here is the online definition of hobby: "a pursuit outside one's regular occupation engaged in especially for relaxation"

My "regular occupation" is raising my children and teaching them school... so anything I do outside of that especially for relaxation is a hobby... Here is my list... hiking, digital scrapbooking, crocheting, genealogy research, running, taking a bath, writing, playing computer games (especially minecraft - it is very relaxing), watching Netflix and Hulu... I'm sure there are other things I do to relax, but this is a pretty comprehensive list... You'll notice that reading isn't on this list.  I do read, but mostly it is for informational purposes, so I wouldn't say it relaxes me.  I don't get a lot of enjoyment out of reading anymore.  The genre I love is mostly "off-limits" to me now, so I read books about transitioning children once they are adopted, or about what drug exposure during pregnancy does to a child.... So yeah, reading for pleasure isn't one of the things I do right now... 
It's so funny to me that I now can say that I'm working on my bathing hobby, and head to the bathroom!! 

I think in most people's mind, a hobby is exactly what the definition says it is with one thing added... there is an object completed during the hobby process.  Either you are assembling something, creating something, or just adding to something, the 'idea' of a hobby is that something is completed while performing your "hobby".  I would say that playing video games on any platform is not considered a hobby because you have "nothing to show for it".  I'm not sure gamers would agree with that statement, and maybe I don't either (have you seen some of the things created in Minecraft?)  

Anyway, This section of the blog is going to be used for my hobbies... The hobbies that have some kind of measurable completion, that is... so I'll be posting my scrapbooking pages, genealogy discoveries, and crocheting projects mostly, (I promise no bathing posts!)  I also probably won't be posting any video games updates or things like that, but I might have some movie reviews or TV shows I've recently discovered or something like that... It'll just be a place where I can keep up to date with the things I've been working on.  

So, at the beginning of this post, I explained how I switch my hobbies periodically, and since I've just recently switched from crocheting to digital scrapbooking, and I'm way behind there, that's what I'll be using this weekly post for... to discuss and display my completed pages.... so stick around and go back in time with me as I try to get caught up, and see which hobby I switch to next!!

No comments:

Post a Comment