Monday, May 12, 2014

Starting over... now?!?!

So for the past 5 years, I've used the same curriculum for our homeschool.  It wasn't exactly what I wanted, and through the years I added things to it and taken  things away from it, but we stayed with that as our main curriculum.  When I first decided to homeschool, I scoured the Internet for exactly what I knew I wanted, but unfortunately, it didn't exist.  What I failed to realize was that eventually someone would make the exact curriculum that I knew I wanted, but didn't know how to make it myself.  And someone did... the year after I started homeschooling.  It just took me FIVE years to go back to square one and start searching for what I knew I wanted.
So now, at this late stage in the game, I'm starting over... with a new curriculum, and inside it is killing me that I can't go back and actually start my 10 year old in pre-k again with this new curriculum and just keep him home until he's 23! :)  I don't think anyone (including me) thinks that's a great idea, so he's starting one grade behind where he was and we will work with not many breaks for the next two years, then he'll be back where he should be... right on track, with no more whining about school, and much more harmony in our home.
My 7 year old, who started this year in 1st grade with the old curriculum, is now moving up to 2nd grade.  He is an avid reader and hopefully will be a lifelong learner, and continue to grow and flourish under this new curriculum.
Bottom line is, we've been doing the new school for five weeks and everyone in our house is happy with it, and I actually look forward to the things we're going to do each week.  We've done more science experiments and art projects and hands-on learning than we ever have before.
So now, maybe you're wondering what this wonderful program is, and how much it costs us (the "old" curriculum came with a lot of books, and costs over $1,200 per year)??  This wonderful program is completely free... and completely online...  WOW... This woman (and some of her helpers) have listed each day with assignments (you will have to buy ink and paper) and online games to help the kids learn each of the subjects.  At first, I thought it was too good to be true, but after just five weeks I can see that the boys are learning more.  They are discussing our history topics together and are actively seeking out other things to learn about outside of school.  This new school day doesn't take them very long, and that leaves lots of time for exploring ideas and books that we just didn't have the freedom to do before.
It has just been wonderful... If any of you homeschool, or are thinking about homeschooling and worried that it'll take too much time or be too expensive, please go check this place out... It's called Easy Peasy Homeschool ... An awesome name for an awesome curriculum.  Oh, and next week I'll start sharing some of the things we've been doing over the last few weeks with our school.

No comments:

Post a Comment